Black Soldier Fly
Black Soldier Fly is an insect whose scientific name is Hermetia illucens. It belongs to the family Stratiomyidae. It was native species especially found in the Neotropical realm. Now, this specie is found almost everywhere in America, Europe, Asia, and Africa.
- The adult female lays 205 to 650 eggs at a time.
- The hatching of eggs occurred within 3 to 4 days.
- Its larvae have a high content of lipids.
Importance of Black Soldier Fly Meal
- It has great importance due to its usage for a beneficial purpose. Some of them are given below
- Black Soldier Fly larva is used for the decomposition process since 1970.
- Nowadays it has been used in livestock feeding ingredients.
- Black Soldier Fly Meal is also included in fish feeding by replacing fish meal & oil.
- Black Soldier Fly Meal is also included in the pig’s meal.
- Black Soldier Fly Meal is used for feeding of poultry.
- Black Soldier Fly Meal contains a high amount of lipids (Fat 28.6 ± 8.5 %).
- Black Soldier Fly Meal contains a high amount of protein (40.9 ± 3.9%).
- Black Soldier Fly Meal contains a high amount of saturated fatty acid than a polyunsaturated fatty acid.
- Black Soldier Fly Meal contains a sufficient amount of calcium and manganese.
Black Soldier Fly Meal Inclusion Rates in Fish Food
As discussed earlier Black Soldier Fly Meal contains a high amount of all essential elements which are required by the fish for growth and development. Black Solider Fly Meal cannot replace the completely fish meal & oil but its inclusion rate is specific for better growth.
It has been proved by the experiments that Black Soldier Fly Meal inclusion rates in fish food should be 25%. The last maximum inclusion rate in fish food should be 30%.
If the inclusion rate increased from 30% then the survival rate will remain the same but the growth rate will be affected negatively. The main reason for this negative effect is because as the inclusion rate increases then the concentration of saturated lipids increases that cause an adverse effect.
Method of the addition of Black Soldier Fly Meal inclusion rates in fish food
First of all, buy prepupae (larva) from a commercial company.
Freeze these larvae at the -80 °C.
Dry this freeze larva and minced it by using liquid nitrogen. Hence Black Soldier Fly Meal is prepared.
Replace 25% of fish meal & oil from the Black Soldier Fly Meal.
So finally, use it for fish feeding.